Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Meatball Subs

Several months ago I spotted "Meatball Subs" on a friends menu plan. The thought has stuck with me through the months and I finally got around to making them last week. And we're having them again this week. They were that big of a hit and that easy to put together! (Funny little aside: I told the friend that I had been inspired by her menu plan and had been thinking of meatball subs ever since. She told me they'd never had meatball subs! I am convinced I saw it written up on her whiteboard, but either way, I found a winner!)

You will need meatballs and spaghetti sauce. You can use homemade meatballs and sauce or go the easy route and use pre-packaged of both. I just had a baby, so I chose pre-packaged... Okay, so I'd probably choose pre-packaged even if I hadn't just had a baby!
The first time I made these we simmered the meatballs in the sauce in a pan on the stove. This time I opted for the slow cooker. Either way works. Follow the directions on your meatball package for cooking them.

After your meatballs are cooked through preheat your broiler. Spoon the saucy meatballs onto hoagie buns, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and broil. I added on sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions, not because they are necessary, but because I had them in the fridge. If I wasn't saving the bell pepper in the fridge for Cinco de Mayo, I'd probably have sauteed it and used it, too. The first time we made these it was strictly meatballs, sauce and cheese and they were good enough to make again!
Pop the open-faced subs under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the bread is a bit toasty.
A hearty, easy meal that comes together pretty quickly. We served ours with corn on the cob and sweet potato fries. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment