Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Basement Refresh

Object: Spend as little $ as possible.


I'm so excited to share our basement with you! After 10 months of nothing on the walls I used Deid and Chris's visit as motivation to change that. Nothing like a deadline to get things accomplished! We had worked hard to brighten up this part of the house. It started out like this:

For reals. Scary city.

We textured and painted over the paneling, but after it was done I wasn't in love with my paint choice (Valspar Azure Snow). I was going for a bluish-grey, but it felt a little baby boy-ish to me once it was on the walls. Honestly, there was no way I was going to repaint and it was either a happy accident, or just wasn't a bad pick to begin with. Cause it turned out looking good in the end with the pops of color on it.
 
I had planned to make a large gallery wall on the end, and painted all of my black frames white to use. Only after they were painted did I realize a gallery wall wasn't going to work. But I did have a lot of white frames to work with. So we hung 2 shelves we had kicking around from our apartment days and I pulled pieces from the depths of the craft room to create this:
And I love how bright and cheery it turned out! The little room on the right is the toy room, and the toys naturally overflow into this part of the house. I guess we could call this the play room. And these colors are very conducive to play, but I think it still looks like adults could hang out here too.


I don't know what it says about me that I had most of this stuff tucked away (although I did print off a couple of the prints here at home) but it was so fun to be able to decorate with what I already had. There are benefits to never throwing things away.


Sources:
Pink frame Poppy Seed Projects
We Can Do Hard Things, by me
Bird from the dollar store and painted pink
Chalkboard tray, a gift from my mom


Sources:
Art in the pink frame was the back of a card 
Paper mache pig from Michael's and painted green
Picture of Old Main, by me
Stars are from Pier 1, received as a gift years ago

I did pick up 2 frames at the thrift store for a dollar each, bringing my total for this wall to $2!

We still need to add more pillows to the day bed and work on the other end of the room, but for now I'm declaring this space a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment