Monday, December 19, 2011

Pineapple

Hey Nik,

Do you have all your neighbor and co-worker gifts taken care of? The husband gave his last one yesterday and I got my share delivered to the women I visit teach.

About five years ago I fell in love with the idea of giving fresh pineapples. You could probably say I'm obsessed with it. I haven't met very many people who don't love fresh pineapple, and while we all love Christmas cookies and candy, I've usually had my fill before Christmas even comes. So fresh fruit it is!


I love wrapping the pineapples in burlap and yarn. I got 1/4 yard of burlap for $.80 and it covered six pineapples. (I'm a pretty big spender!)

To cut your burlap evenly, figure out your spacing, snip a thread and pull it out.



This got me thinking that I should do a burlap wreath with barn red burlap instead of the natural brown color. I loved the red ruffles!


You're left with a small little void that is easy to cut down. Doing it this way helps eliminate a mess of strands along an uneven side and make your edges fray tidy!


I sort of ruffle the front to use up the extra length of burlap. I think it gives it a fun look. The pom-pom yarn I bought years ago at the Dollar Store. I'll be sad when it's gone because it's dressed up lots of Christmas packages! I've also used plain white twine and that looks good, too.


Dressed up and ready to party!


The best part of all? When we went to the store to buy pineapples they were 99¢ each! That made these gifts well within our grad-student budget. I bought a few extra for sharing the joy!

Mele Kalikimaka!
Deid

PS—Speaking of Mele Kalikimaka... If you want to play up the Hawaiian theme, there are really cute printable tags you could print and attach to pineapples that you can find here from Loralee Lewis. I guess it's the next best thing to a trip to Hawaii.

1 comment: